Max Weber: the "Iron Cage" & the Commercialization Model

Thu Dec 7 17:06:28 MST 2000

Max Weber writes:

>"these peculiarities of Western capitalism have derived their
>significance in the last analysis only from their association with
>the organization of labour.  Even what is generally called
>commercialization, the development of negotiable securities and the
>rationalization of speculation, the exchanges, etc is connected with
>it.  For without the rational capitalistic organization of labour,
>all this, so far as it was possible at all, would have nothing like
>the same significance, above all for the social structure and all
>the specific problems of the modern Occident connected with it.
>Exact calculation--the basis of everything else--is only possible on
>the basis of free labour. (p 22. TPE)

The problem, however, is _how_ free labor came into being.  That is
why Carrol & I asked folks to read Ellen Wood, _The Origin of
Capitalism_, NY: Monthly Review Press, 1999; _Democracy Against
Capitalism: Renewing Historical Materialism_, Cambridge: Cambridge