What the Bush Klan was up to...

Jose G. Perez jg_perez at SPAMbellsouth.net
Thu Dec 7 23:30:50 MST 2000

[This is from the well-known London commie rag, the Financial Times]

Disquiet of black voters mounts
By Nancy Dunne in Washington
Published: November 15 2000 23:34GMT
Last Updated: November 15 2000 23:56GMT

He was, at 67, a first-time voter: a thin black man who hobbled into the
polling place in Tampa, Florida, with a cane. He had grown up in the
segregated south, when blacks - if they were allowed to vote at all -
entered to cast their ballots by separate doors. It had taken the pleas of a
popular black radio talk-show host, Tom Joyner, to help him overcome his
fear of the polling place.

After voting he approached Stacy Powers, Mr Joyner's producer. "He was so
proud," she said. "He thought his vote might make a difference."

As she was driving away Ms Powers saw him again on the street. Two white
policemen were harassing him, and he had his hands in the air. "I wanted to
help him but they told me to move on. I was frightened. I thought if I
hadn't been white they would have arrested me."

Widespread charges of discrimination against black and Hispanic voters have
been obscured in Florida by the recount turmoil. But on Wednesday the
National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People was preparing a
report for the US Justice Department on alleged voters' rights violations.

Sheila Douglas of the NAACP said there are always reports of irregularities
but this year there were more. Voters with registration cards were told they
had not registered. Others were denied a ballot and told they had been sent
absentee ballots they never requested. Others, standing in line when the
polls were closed, were sent away, in violation of the law.

Despite the allegations, black turnout was unusually high, according to
David Bositis of the Joint Centre for Political and Economic Studies.

Although blacks make up only 13 per cent of Florida's voting-age population,
they comprised 15 per cent of the turnout - up from 10 per cent in 1996.

A mass drive to get minorities to the polls accounted for only part of the
impetus, said Mr Bositis. There was also widespread anger at Governor Jeb
Bush, the brother of George W. Bush, the Republican candidate, for his drive
to end affirmative action programmes.

Derek Drake, an editor at the Central Florida Advocate, a black weekly
newspaper, said complaints came from "everyone who might have been
sympathetic to the Gore campaign", including Haitian-Americans and
Hispanics, who - unlike whites - were often asked for two identification
cards.

"There was either something of a conspiratorial nature going on or there was
mass incompetence," he concluded.

The American Civil Liberties Union voters' rights project on Wednesday filed
a brief in support of voters demanding a new election in Palm Beach county.

Laughlin McDonald, the director of the project, said there had been
sufficient irregularities to cast doubt on the outcome of the election.

Mr Bositis said he doubted that there was a formal effort to depress the
black vote. "There won't be a paper trail," he said. "In these cases there
might be a few people involved who would talk to different third parties and
there would be a discussion that the black vote could be a problem."

The action of the state police in setting up a checkpoint to look for felons
near one polling place was "classic intimidating behavior", he said. "But
the law will look at the numbers, and disenfranchisement will never be
proved."

Anger and suspicion dominates black radio talk shows and internet sites. Mr
Joyner's site contains charges of election tampering and "cover-up by the
Bush Klan".

One contributor, "Pisoria", posted a one-line plaint: "It's over and we'll
never know who dun it."