Again to Marta and Doyle wasRe: Replying to Marta was re: Holland: thenew killing fields

Fri Dec 8 17:04:59 MST 2000

Marta,

I had not intended saying more on this issue.  But Doyle and yourself have
replied and I do not want to be seen ignoring what you both have had to
say. You say, Marta, that fear of dependency is behind most people's
support for euthanasia.  That seems right to me.  However you say it is
sad.  I cannot agree.  Look I have nothing to say against people who can
cope with dependence.  That is their choice and I respect it absolutely and
agree with you that the care they get should be of the highest.  I am also
aware of those who need care and who have had no choice in the matter. I
think here of the wife of a good friend who was disabled by a massive
stroke and has spent the rest of here life in a chair unable to
speak.   Also the Down Syndrome son of a very good friend comes to mind.  I
am absolutely not for the elimination of these people by the state or the
medical profession. They have not had many choices and should not be
punished for this.

But I do have choices.  I do not want to be dependent.  I do not want to
end up in diapers, drooling in a chair.  My old friend does not want to end
up like that either. Why cannot you accept that?  Why do you have to see it
as somehow pathological rather than a cold hard look at the probabilities?
I cannot say how I will be when death is approaching,  that is if I have a
chance to weigh it all up.  But I hope to approach it with courage and
dignity, and above all I will be thinking of what the quality of my life
will be.  There are much worse things than death.

regards

Gary