rationalisation and reification

Sat Dec 9 10:35:19 MST 2000

>En relación a Re: rationalisation and reification,
>el 9 Dec 00, a las 8:26, Louis Proyect dijo:
>
>>  Phil:
>>  >PS: BTW, does anyone know any good books on the subject of the
>>  >origins/evolution of sociology?
>
>Positively yes. Lucien Goldmann's _Les sciences humaines et la philosophie_ is
>directly engaged with this.
>
>Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
>gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar

Lucien Goldmann is wonderful.  I'm reading Eric R. Wolf's _Europe and
the People Without History_ now.  In the introduction, Wolf briefly
discusses the rise of the social sciences and the development of
sociological theory (how both became divorced from political economy,
which in turn got compartmentalized into economics & political
science):

*****   The rising tide of discontent pitting "society" against the
political and ideological order erupted in disorder, rebellion, and
revolution.  The specter of disorder and revolution raised the
question of how social order could be restored and maintained,
indeed, how social order was possible at all.  Sociology hoped to
answer the "social question."  It had, as Rudolph Heberle noted, "an
eminently political origin....Saint Simon, Auguste Comte, and Lorenz
Stein conceived the new science of society as an antidote against the
poison of social disintegration" (quoted in Bramson 1961: 12, n. 2).

These early sociologists did this by severing the field of social
relations from political economy....

Bramson, Leon 1961.  The Political Context of Sociology.  Princeton,
NJ: Princeton UP.

(Eric Wolf, _Europe and the People Without History_, Berkeley: U of
California P, 1982, _p. 8)   *****

Yoshie

P.S.  Thanks to Sean Noonan for his very fine post.