Peter Singer & the "Quality of Life" Ethic (was Re: Replying toMarta...)

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Sat Dec 9 17:32:20 MST 2000

Marx' original focus on suicide is located in gender issues, the
suicides of bourgeois women, most of them living under severe
familial constraints (The Holy Family). He attacks the exiting
form of the family saying that it must be "destroyed in theory
and practice."  Later he published a critique on Jacques Peuchet
(1845) which explored the economic and social dimensions of
suicide.  He says that it is not only the workers but the whole
of bourgeois society that suffers under dehumanized social
relations. He sees suicide as the result of a "deficient
organization" of society.

Precisely why we should be fighting to see that people get what
they need by changing the current state of affairs rather than
focusing on speeding up their exit from the world.

I have found it interesting that by far the majority of Hemlock
society members are white, well-off, and well.

Marta

--
Marta Russell
author, Los Angeles, CA