Peter Singer & the "Quality of Life" Ethic (was Re: Replying toMarta...)

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at SPAMjuno.com
Sun Dec 10 12:44:25 MST 2000

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:17:06 -0800 "Macdonald Stainsby" <mstainsby at tao.ca>
writes:
> > Has anyone read Marx's thoughts on suicides?
> >
> > Yoshie
>
> It's been awhile, but if I recall it was around the same dynamic as
> that of alienation
> and religion- that it can be used as an escape from the pain
> inflicted by the capitalist
> system. In the light of what *causes* it, it is the bourgeoisie who
> effectively would be
> the murderers of workers who opt out. This is all sketchy memory
> here:

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to relate Marx's thoughts
on suicides with those of Durkheim's.  I suppose that would get us
into a discussion of how Marx's concept of alienation is to be
related with Durkheim's notion of anomie.

Going back to Intro. Soc. 101.

Jim F.

> Macdonald

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!