What's behind the Republican factional offensive?

jonathan flanders jon_flanders at SPAMcompuserve.com
Tue Dec 12 14:15:51 MST 2000

>> There is no open, growing economic or social crisis, or external
challenge,
that requires such a tightening in the regime, with all the risks this
implies. Yet as far as I can tell, the ruling class and its major
institutions seem unconcerned. <<

Seem unconcerned, yes. But I suspect that they are quite aware of the huge
and growing chasm between the rich and everyone else. So the most
"activist" sectors feel the need to take every advantage the political
system offers, to rule out even the slightest possibility that the rabble
below might take effective action. And at the same time, intimidate and
keep on the defensive the traditional "advocates" for the downtrodden, like
the Democrats.

 I think your analysis is right on the mark.

 Jon F