clarification

Doug Henwood dhenwood at SPAMpanix.com
Tue Dec 12 15:05:39 MST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Well, I myself have criticized Judith Butler perhaps more often than
>I should have on LBO-talk, probably to the chagrin of Doug,

I wish you agreed with me, of course, but I'm not chagrined that you
don't. As St Judy herself put it, "The only possible unity will not
be the synthesis of a set of conflicts, but will be *a mode of
sustaining conflict in politically productive ways,* a practice of
contesation that demands that these movements articulate their goals
under the pressure of each other without therefore exactly becoming
each other...."

Doug