Debbie Nathan: Re: clarification

Tue Dec 12 23:11:52 MST 2000

Mine:

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>  >The clear "line in the sand" that we should be drawing now >is that
>>  >between those who oppose capitalism & imperialism and >those who
>>  >oppose "globalization" while accepting the TINA.  And we >should be
>>  >drawing this line without sounding sectarian -- a difficult >task.
>>
>>  >Yoshie
>
>I am *sure* the editor of NACLA report, Debbie Natan, whom you admire so much,
>will agree with you on the need to oppose  capitalism, imperialism and
>globalization!

I have never had an opportunity to debate anything with Debbie
Nathan, & the only thing I know about her is her articles on Maquila
labor, opposition to anti-immigrant militarization of the U.S.-Mexico
border, etc.  So while I don't mean to foreclose a possibility of
more areas of agreement between her and me, let's just say that I
don't expect her to agree with me on all other political positions
that I hold.  Nor do I expect complete agreement from you either,
which is no reason for you to think that I am your opponent on
everything.  In fact, between you and me, I should think that areas
of agreement must be far larger than areas of disagreement.
Actually, I don't know on what important questions you actually
disagree with me so much that you always have to reply to me in a
tone in which you do.  I've always found it rather baffling.

When you read magazines like _The Nation_, _NACLA_, etc., you need to
read selectively; the same goes for reading the New York Times, the
Financial Times, etc.  You take what you can from them, without
endorsing the overall political lines advocated by them respectively.

Yoshie