Solidarity Activism, Maquilas, & China

Tue Dec 12 23:31:03 MST 2000

>Yoshie:
>>  So far, only China has been able to demand -- and to
>>  a certain extent bring about -- foreign investments in such a way
>>  that locally produced parts will be used for assembly work ("China's
>>  investment and industrial policies frequently include explicit
>>  provisions for technology transfers in the form of local content
>>  requirements, production export quotas, and/or collaboration in
>>  production, research or training" at
>>  <http://www.doc-bxa.bmpcoe.org/dmrr_chinatech.html>), which is to the
>>  credit of the Chinese Communist Party & has annoyed the ruling class
>>  & governing elite of rich nations a great deal.
>
>Even Indian policies require MNCs to commit themselves to local content,
>export targets, dividend balancing etc. There is nothing exceptional about
>Chinese polices.
>
>Ulhas

Do you think so?  Perhaps you are correct, but if so, I'd like to see
comparative analyses of actual local content enforcements of China,
India, and other poor nations.

It's been my impression that China has been more successful in
demanding local content than many other nations on the periphery
(hence the US governing elite's peeves against China), but I may very
well be mistaken, as you say.

Yoshie