Supreme Court Decision - a query

Wed Dec 13 04:29:23 MST 2000

Thank you for this Lou.  It makes sense to me.

I remember with absolute clarity a comparable situation in Australia on
November 1975 when the Governor General Sir John Kerr sacked the Labor
Prime Minister, Gough Whitlam.  there was an uspsurge of popular rage which
if I had not seen it I would not have believed it.  The most passive people
in the world stopped their jobs and flocked onto the streets.  It took all
of Whitlam's skill to calm them down and get them back to work.  He had a
slogan "maintain your rage...". That is what is recalled when people talk
of the anger fading.  No one recalls the second part of his slogan " ...but
don't boil over."  In the subsequent election Labor were thrashed and did
not get back into power until 1983.  And when they did it was as a super
moderate party of the right. Social democracy was no longer an option - a
neo-liberal Labor Party was born.

Still Bush will inherit the whirlwind.  The American and world economy is
slowing down.  He is obviously an idiot and a bandit and not even all that
religious cant will save him.  American politics seems to be heading for a
new and confrontational phase that has not been seen since the 30s.  And
that is an entirely good thing.

regards

Gary