Forwarded from Anthony (Bush victory)

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Thu Dec 14 10:46:08 MST 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

> 5. What will be the consequences of the Supreme court's intervention?
>
> They have opened the door to all kinds of lawsuits and efforts to change
> electoral law all over the country by applying the "equal protection"
> provision to vote counting and recounting.
>
> ((
>
> CB: I was thinking the same thing as Anthony on this point. But then I keep feeling
>like that would be too good to be true. They couldn't have made that big of a
>mistake, could they ?

Wouldn't it be lovely if all the work, personnel, energy, resources that
might be put into actual organizing and struggle could be drained off
into endless court suits. On the basis of all the flutter on this and other
lists about the election, it seems to me that a really brilliant stroke
by the ruling class would be to stage elections for the presidencies
of the World Bank and the IMF. Opposition to those two institutions
would evaporate almost magically, drained off into hassle about
whether the elections were fair or whether X or Y would be most
friendly to poor nations if he/she were World Bank President.

Based on post-Seattle police tactics, the movement is going to
be spending more than enough time in court without leftists rushing
on their own initiative to grab that tar baby.

Carrol