Forwarded from Ismail Lagardien

John Enyang jenyan1 at SPAMuic.edu
Thu Dec 14 14:22:02 MST 2000

> To break free from the white left
> Ebrahim Harvey
>
> Because the Industrial Revolution, which gave rise to classes and class
> struggles, began in England and Europe there is no doubt that the
> historical, ideological and epistemological foundations of Marxism reside
> with white European intellectuals, such as Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels,
> Vladimir Lenin and Leon Trotsky.
>
> Black people in the Third World, who were subjected to slavery, racism,
> colonialism and imperialism by the forces which that revolution unleashed,
> had no role whatsoever in the original formulation of Marxist theories and,
> in fact, had relatively little to do with the subsequent development of
> these theories, and the struggles which they gave rise to.
>
> However, many black revolutionary intellectuals in Africa, particularly in
> our country, imbibed and applied these theories uncritically. This always
> represented serious problems both in theory and practice.

It is all too easy to find "revolutionary intellectuals" of any hue or
nationality who have treated Marxian thought uncritically or as an
abstract dogma. This, it seems, has a l w a y s represented a serious
problem - one, which in my view has little, if anything, to do with being
black. Nor does the author of the article begin to make a convincing case
that the "problem" is worse among "black revolutionary intellectuals" than
elsewhere.

One might also ask, whether the author of this piece considers that Franz
Fanon, Aime Cesaire, CLR James "imbibed" Marxist thought "uncritically".

> The most fundamental of these, that many today, on the basis of political
> and organisational experience, are beginning to realise, is that
> perspectives, as provided by their own experience in the Third World, could
> not be solely based on the foundations laid by Marx and others. In fact it
> is precisely on the epistemological foundations of Marxism ó conditions
> determine consciousness ó that it could not.

This seems to be a straw man. Where has anyone seriously argued that the
local conditions and history should be ignored, or that Marx intended to
create a complete body of work which would be thoughtlessly applied in all
places and at all times?

> In South Africa white Marxist intellectuals, whether inside the African
> National Congress-led alliance or outside it, have never been an organic
> part ó historically, socially and economically ó of the black working
> class, particularly since the Nationalist Party won the 1948 elections.

Actually, this critique, which the author has, for reasons obscure to me,
directed here soley at white South African Marxist intellectuals, applies
to post colonial petty-bourgeois (intellectual or not) as a whole. I refer
the reader (and the Author of the article) to Fanon's "Wretched of the
Earth" for an excoriating analysis of the African petty bourgeoisie.

> The racist basis of its rule and the systematic and extensive privileges
> all white people enjoyed, including the white left, in spite of their
> consciousness and whether they fought against apartheid, made that an
> indisputable fact of life before 1994. In fact white people enjoyed one of
> the highest standards of living in the world due to the gross exploitation
> of black labour.
>
> The white left, in its diversity, has had no living experience of
> oppression, racism and hardships. They know of it only through the
> experience of black people. They brought no blood, sweat or tears to the
> black working class. What they brought was intellectual and financial
> resources and a commitment to change.
>
> Today, in the post-apartheid era, they still control huge resources, linked
> to their academic and other work, which is, again, the basis of their
> involvement with, and in many cases control of, the support, solidarity and
> scholarly work they conduct with unions and community organisations.
>
> Look at most of the white left and not far behind them you will see lots of
> money and other resources or the means to access it. This is an extension
> of their privileged background.
>
> This enabled them, among many other privileges, to study and achieve
> academic qualifications, travel, dominate the academia and all areas of
> scholarship. Until today most academic disciplines, research and
> scholarships are dominated by whites. What this meant was that the
> white-left intellectuals had a huge advantage over black intellectuals and
> radi-cals in critical areas of knowledge and research which mainstream
> white universities enjoyed over black universities.

South Africa, like most of the former colonised world, is facing economic
and social rollback from the core countries in the capitalist system. And
in South Africa, the ANC has gone the way of most former liberation
movements -- turning itself into a cabal dominated by an ambitious petty -
bourgeoisie whose power and relative privilege depends on the local
services it is able to render to global capital.

In this situation, where the working classes (black and white, but
especially the black), and the black peasantry, face the grimest struggle
for day to day survival, it is populist and nationalist demagoguery, nay
it is scapegoating of the worst kind, to direct one's political energies to
attacking the "white marxist left" while the (mostly black, I might add)
petty bourgeoisie and opportunists in the South African government
implement an agenda dictated by the instruments of global capital -- not
least of which is Ismail Lagardien's putative employer, the World Bank.

Ebrahim Harvey's article displays all the worst shortcomings and
inadequacies of the nationalist approach -- an approach, which though it
has been the plague of the African working classes and peasantry, has
served the short term and day to day, political needs of an nefarious
aspiring African capitalist-bureaucratic elite rather well over the last
50 years.

John Enyang
 MSCS (M/C 249)
 SEO 322 / 851 S. Morgan Street,