Forwarded from Anthony (ruling class rift)

Thu Dec 14 15:33:32 MST 2000

Hi Anthony:

>Carrol Cox says he doesn't think there is any evidence
>of a serious rift within capitalist class, and Yoshie
>sasy she agrees.

I'm afraid that the burden of proof is upon those who see "a serious
rift within the capitalist class."  A serious rift _over what_?  And
a rift _between what factions of capital_?

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I don't see any "serious rift"
within the ruling class; the only thing visible seems to be
differences in nuance & rhetoric among the governing elite (e.g.,
Larry Summers versus Joseph Stiglitz), which do not equal a critical
situation of different factions of capital squaring off, with an
opening for the masses to exploit the crisis & to make advances.

>Carrol and Yoshie, would you please explain to me and
>others on this list what would constitute such a rift
>in your views?

On the eve of the French Revolution, for instance.

Yoshie