Ancient antagonism between pred. mental and pred physicallabor

Fri Dec 15 15:01:57 MST 2000

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 12/15/00 04:36PM >>>
What's to prevent the reconciliation of city & countryside from going
together with lightening the demands of physical labor & increasing
free time _as much as circumstances allow_?

(((((((((((((

CB: In general I agree with movement to resolve the ancient antagonism between
predominantly mental and predominantly physical labor.

There is some issue of "workerism" , romanticising physical labor by some radicals.

However, not touched here or on LBO-Talk is the wellknown, platitudinous even , but
true ANCIENT SNOBBERY OF PREDOMINANTLY MENTAL LABORERS which is part of the elitism of
ruling classes which exploited predominantly physical laborers down through the class
societies.

Some of the American working class prejudice against eggheads in founded in the role
of intellecuals as servants of the European ruling class. When America broke away the
working classes associated the ruling class and the ivory tower , with good reason.
This complicates our effort to overcome the antagonism, our effort to raise the
consciousness of the working class which must mean more predominantly mental labor by
predominantly physical laborers.