Back to Matt was Re: Replying to Gary was Re: Once more on you knowwhat...

Sat Dec 16 15:15:00 MST 2000

Of course Matt, my view of America is very distorted.  I spent 6 weeks in
New York in 81/2 and as my second wife, whom I met there, used to say "New
York ain't America!"  It is also true that I should not be giving advice to
American comrades, and it is good of you to tolerate my ignorance, take the
trouble to read my posts and to reply at length.

But let me try and answer honestly what I see as your key question - Do I
see the Democrats as some kind of substitute Labor Party?  In other words
do I have in some part of my brain internalised a model that comes from the
Days of Earl Browder?  Do I think that the Democrats have a different
relationship to the working class than the Republican Party?

Hand on heart I would answer 'no' to all of the above.  Why then did I find
myself hoping Gore would win?  Well I think the answer is that I recognized
an offensive from the far-right and felt that its defeat, rather than
Gore's victory, was necessary.  Gore's response was as has been pointed out
by Michael Moore and others, piss weak legalism.

Of course one cannot defeat the far right in the courts but you can push
them back and you must use all the means in one's power. That also may
include using the vote.

Now what about abstentionism?  I find your ideas interesting here.  The
classic texts of Marxism are as you would know very
anti-abstentionist.  Indeed the battles between Marx & Engels with Bakunin
were often on this very issue.  But M&E both believed that the working
class were instinctively non-abstentionist.  The situation in the USA
though appears to be the exact opposite. the workers won't vote. Perhaps it
is possible to dialectically akido this absentionism and take it to a
higher level.  That is certainly how I understand your strategy.  Perhaps
you are correct.  How could I tell from here?  In any case good luck with
the struggle.

BTW 'liberal' is an infinitely greater insult in my book than 'anarchist'.

warm regards

Gary