On Academe and the list was Re: NACLA and Colombia

Michael Hoover hoov at SPAMfreenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat Dec 16 18:23:17 MST 2000

> re. your detection of my pretentious, tell you what, I'll forgive you
> that comment...you may not know, since I don't bring myself up much on
> any lists to which I'm subbed (although I've probably mentioned it some
> time or another on all of them), I teach at a community college in
> Central Florida and have for 22 yrs - 8 as adjunct in adult education
> program...my crime: Central American solidarity work
>
> I've been publicly red-baited twice, first time by right-wing students
> affiliated with Accuracy in Academia assigned to take my class in order
> to monitor content, I was adjunct as local state university and these
> people went to academic dean and local news media in attempt to have me
> removed in middle of term...second time was after I'd been hired full-
> time at community college but didn't have tenure, I was brought before
> academic vice-prez on word of a "colleague" and parent...my crime: I
> used Michael Parenti's _Sword & Dollar_, marxist critique of US foreign
> policy in one of my courses...

whoops, statement "my crime: Central American solidarity work" should
have followed "I was adjunct at local state university and these
people went to academic dean & local new media in attempt to have
me removed in middle of term"...    MH