students and the university

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Tue Dec 19 10:39:20 MST 2000

"Dr. George Snedeker" wrote:

>if I tried to organize study groups on Capital as Louis suggested, >no
one >would come. this might work at Columbia. my students >work 40 hours
at >deadend jobs. my words fall like bats. still, we >continue.

Well, not quite so. When I was taking courses a year ago at graduate
school here, my theory prof. Peter Breiner put together an extensive
course on Marx's _CAPITAL_  and his political writings. .It was tough,
but it worked out eventually; and the attendence was pretty well.

The problem is that  academics, as part of the petty bourgeois class in
US, don't want to teach Marx, not that the ruling class is
self-consciously engaged in a conspiracy against academics.. Ruling
class is better off  when they don't teach it, in fact.

Xxxx

Xxxx

--

Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx