Marxism and style?

Tue Dec 19 14:17:36 MST 2000

I read Michael Perelman's THE INVENTION OF CAPITALISM because I am interested in
the process of "primitive accumulation." I mention this because of our
discussion of the pen-l list. there was a  good discussion of things like fox
hunting and other forms of oppressing the peasants. I found Perelman's
discussion of the way primitive accumulation forced peasants into the labor
market interesting. my criticisms has to do with that kind of dry academic
style. does he really want us to go back and read the classical economists? the
same might be said for John Bellamy Foster's MARX'S ECOLOGY, another academic
tome. both books suffer from a kind of positivism of language. what they say is
true enough. why can't these people write like Louis Proyect? it' enough to put
a good man-woman to sleep.   George Snedeker