replying to Yoshie was Re: To Yoshie on our duty in cyber space was Re: On Academe and the list

Wed Dec 20 05:26:21 MST 2000

En relación a replying to Yoshie was Re: To Yoshie on our duty ,
el 20 Dec 00, a las 18:07, Gary MacLennan dijo:

> Let me spell it out for you Yoshie.  All academic bullshit apart, De Long is an
> *enemy*.  We Irish know what that means.  In my daily life I have all the
> contact with enemies that I could ever possibly need.

Here it is! Gary's hammer has hit my own nail again. I guess we in the National
Left of Argentina (as well as democratic national intellectuals) can
immediately spot this kind of enemy in disguise. If I had the boon of a Latin
American list where to tear to shreds the equals of Spruille Braden De Long, I
would gladly engage in that kind of struggle. In fact, I did, on a couple of
lists, with no little success. But our local lists last short and certainly my
"style of argumentation" is not the kind of thing the mainly upper class
"progressives" that constitute them would stand.

But, alas, such is life. Why should I refurbish in English debates that I have
in Spanish, and for no obvious sense at all?  When I crash down on the right
wing, colonialist, post-Keynesians here, I do clearly understand what I am
doing it for: I am waging a little battle on the sides of the main battlefield
against people who may, tomorrow, be offered to lead my country out of the
nightmare that the monetarists are preparing for us (as if everyday life in
Argentina were not _already_ a nightmare!). I am exposing them in public,
because they may become officials tomorrow. That is politics.

But debating with Braden De Long whether Peronism was Fascist or not? Again,
not my cup o'tea.

> On the other hand I do need Lou's list and I am conceited enough to think
> that occasionally I make a contribution to it.
>
> The point I am trying to emphasize is that Lou's list is different and we
> all need to be conscious of that.  I suppose I should not make a value
> judgement here but my non presence on Pen L and other lists means that I
> must be frank and say 'vive la differance'.
>
> Let me hasten to add that this is in no way a criticism of yourself,
> Michael Hoover or Carroll.  None of us can read everything.  None of us can be
> on all the lists - I am on four.  I suspect the revolution will survive me not
> subscribing to Pen-L. Point two
>
> >P.S.  I'm also of an opinion that non-black leftists in the USA should
> >regularly visit African-American churches -- to network, yes, but also,
> >perhaps more importantly, to learn from the oratorical traditions of the
> >best of black preachers (how to draw upon Biblical metaphors creatively,
> >how to invite audience responses, how to employ rhythmic repetitions to
> >build up the momentum, and so on).  We should all practice public speaking.
>

> This is extremely intriguing.  Are you saying that going to a Black church is
> the same as subscribing to Pen-L?  In any case I will repeat what I said in an
> earlier post.  Lou lives in the world.  I live in the world.  Of the hundred and
> one transactions I carry out daily - few, very few, are with revolutionaries.  I
> desperately need to increase my contact with Marxists who can help me breach my
> isolation and to develop as a Marxist thinker.  I will say it now loud and clear
> for Carroll, yourself and Michael Hoover, that need of mine is met much more by
> Lou's list than by lists like Pen -L.  That is why, comrade, I do not want the
> tenor of Lou's list to be changed.  I am sure that if you think about this you
> will agree with me.
>
> regards
>
> Gary

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky