Turning the other cheek to George was Re: Christmas?

jenyan1 jenyan1 at SPAMuic.edu
Fri Dec 22 15:49:46 MST 2000

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, Macdonald Stainsby wrote:

> I tend to believe that science has it's own religious aspect as well when pushed far
> enough.

Macdonald et al,

What colour is the number one? 'tis green say some, still others
say purple, but I'm firmly of the opinion 'tis tinged yellow.

Which is another way of saying: whatever the place of metaphysics and the
questions it seeks to answer, the argument that metaphysics has anything
to do with materialism and the scientific method is tenuous at the very
best.

So, while Gary McLennan nearly went so far as to label George Snedecker's
atheism intolerant and unsophisticated, there's nothing "sophisticated"
about using "science" to give a halo of credibility and modernity to
obscurantism, hocus pocus and abracadabra. And is it either correct or
necessary to howl down the slightest criticism of anti-materialist
obscurantism in the name of "tolerance"?

PS: A few physisists (notable and not so notable), like Paul Davies of
University of Adelaide, have made in the last 15 years or so, a killing
selling to their audiences a well packaged mish-mash of ideas which
bundle together theology and physics -- of a sort that does not ever get
published in reviewed journals.

John Enyang,
 MSCS (M/C 249)
 SEO 322 / 851 S. Morgan Street,