replying to Heinrich was Re: Various forms of religion

Fri Dec 22 17:07:54 MST 2000

Heinrich's quote from Marx's is a good one.  I possess the old Progress
Publishers Marx & Engels and Lenin on religion and it is remarkable how
superior their comments are to Lenin's.

But that is by the way. There is a challenge here to religion and it says
that if we have a better world then we will not need a god.  I think
Marxists should continue to press that challenge.  We should demand that
the churches free themselves from dependence on this-worldly  institutions
and that they should cease their support for the status quo.  For instance
the pope's recent reception of Haider is just one more act in a long litany
of treachery and betrayal by the Roman Church of the ideals of Christ.

We should be remorseless in our criticism here.  We should insist that the
Churches risk a better world now.  If Marx is correct religion will then
wither away.  If the religious are correct it will not.  Let us see who has
the right of it.

regards

Gary