Marx and the Bible

soil_ride soilride at SPAMemail.msn.com
Fri Dec 22 20:01:00 MST 2000

"The social principles of Christianity preach the need of a dominating class and
an oppressed class. The social principles of Christianity point to heaven as the
compensation for all the crimes that are committed on earth. The social
principles of Christianity explain all the viciousness of oppressors as a just
punishment either for original sin or other sins, or as trials that the Lord, in
infinite wisdom, inflicts on those the Lord has redeemed. The social principles
of Christianity preach cowardice, self-hatred, servility, submission, humility--
in a word, all the characteristics of a scoundrel."

-Karl Marx, excerpt from The Communism of Paper Rheinischer Boebachter, 1847

How could Marx have presented such an image of Christianity?

The other text from Isaiah 65:17-22:

"For behold I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things shall
not be remembered and come into mind. [We will have changed reality in a such a
way that no one will remember the past. The result is a global change of
structures.] But be glad and rejoice forever in that which I create; for behold,
I create Jerusalem rejoicing, and her people a joy. I will rejoice in Jerusalem,
and be glad in my people; no more shall be heard in it the sound of weeping and
the cry of distress or an old man who does not fill out his days. ...They shall
build houses and inhabit them; they shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
They shall not build and another inhabit; they shall not plant and another eat;
for like the days of a tree shall the days of my people be, and my chosen shall
long enjoy the work of their hands."

This is the very concrete reality of the kingdom of God. The people will not
work for others but for themselves, the city will be called a "rejoicing" and
her people a "joy".

How could this have transformed into the description that Marx(and any other
philosopher at that) described? Because both statements are true.

At the root of the Christian faith is the love for God and for humanity. As
history progresses and determines to liberate itself to the very defintion of
liberation, God is indeed revolutionary involved with the process of liberation
of the human race.

Marx's detailed descriptions point out the very ugliness of which Christianity
has faltered, that Marx's statements are true to the last drop and that
Christianity has faltered in its process of liberation of man and succumbed to
the process of market expansion of the capitalist system which exploits man
through man against man.