What Marx REALLY said about Christianity

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Fri Dec 22 22:11:41 MST 2000

    Soil Ride has distorted Marx by selective quotation. He has cut Marx off
in mid-sentence, to obscure the essence of what Marx said. He has also
truncated other parts of what Marx wrote without any hint of the omission.

    This is entirely appropriate to Soil Ride's message, although whether
this was intentional is something I have no way of knowing.

    But the fact is there is a very clear POLITICAL agenda behind this
selective quotation.

    "At the root of the Christian faith is the love for God and for
humanity," Ride pontificates. "As history progresses and determines to
liberate itself to the very defintion of liberation, God is indeed
revolutionary involved with the process of liberation of the human race."

    This is PRECISELY the kind of empty religious cant that Marx savaged in
that polemic. Someone Marx identifies as a "Prussian Consistorial
Counsellor" had written a bunch of pious nonsense to COVER UP that
religion is an instrument of CLASS rule.

    Marx quotes the Consistorial Counsellor: "We can save ourselves all this
tedious talk of Communism. If only those who have the vocation for it
develop the social principles of Christianity, then the Communists will soon
fall silent."

    And Marx answered:

    "The social principles of Christianity have now had eighteen hundred
years to be developed, and have no further need of development by Prussian
Consistorial Counsellors.

    "The social principles of Christianity justified the slavery of
antiquity, glorified the serfdom of the Middle Ages and are capable, in case
of need, of defending the oppression of the proletariat, even if with
somewhat doleful grimaces.

    "The social principles of Christianity preach the necessity of a ruling
and of an oppressed class, and for the latter all they have to offer is the
pious wish that the former may be charitable.

    "The social principles of Christianity place the Consistorial
Counsellor's compensation for all infamies in heaven, and thereby justify
the continuation of these infamies on earth.

    "The social principles of Christianity declare all the vile acts of the
oppressors against the oppressed to be either a just punishment for original
sin and other sins, or trials which the Lord, in his infinite wisdom,
ordains for the redeemed.

    "The social principles of Christianity preach cowardice, self contempt,
abasement, submissiveness and humbleness, in sort, all the qualities of the
rabble and the proletariat, which will not permit itself to be treated as
rabble, needs its courage, its self-confidence, its pride and its sense of
independence even more than its bread.

    "The social principles of Christianity are sneaking and hypocritical,
and the proletariat is revolutionary.

    "So much for the social principles of Christianity."

    (Karl Marx, The Communism of the Rheinischer Beobachter, MECW, vol. 6,
page 231.)

    Even while confessing the actual role of Christianity, Ride in the next
sentence takes it back, claiming HIS God is a "revolutionary" and that the
"root of the Christian faith" is "love ... for humanity."

    No, the REAL "root" of the Christian faith (and ALL OTHER religions in
class society) is not this pure, golden "love" for all of "humanity," but in
a base lust for gold, for filthy lucre. As for "love" for humanity, go
preach it to the ruling class and their torturers and assassins. Go preach
it to the Popes and Bishops and Reverends who sit on immense fortunes while
millions of children in the third world are starving.

    As for the rest of it, the divine cuckolding of Joseph, ritual
cannibalism and vampirism, God being his own son, and other "mysteries," it
is a pack of obscurantist nonsense opportunistically patched together from
the myths and legends of scores of other peoples.

     God is not revolutionary. If the all knowing, all powerful, all wise
God of the Christians exists, then I, for one, want no part of him. I am
with the Cuban Indian leader Hatuey, who as he was about to be burned at the
stake, refused to blessings of the Spanish priest, saying that if heaven was
full of people from Spain, then he wanted to go to hell.

    THAT is a real revolutionary attitude. But, of course, Hatuey and his
people were communists.

José