Yoshie 4 was Re: William Blake

Sat Dec 23 02:05:55 MST 2000

The sun has now set and I think my capacity to read critically has gone
with it.  I found Yoshie to be obscure here.  Unusually so.

Again another long quote from a classic.  Another great read.  What is the
point though of these quotations?  Is it to set up an orthodoxy of Marxism
which we all must adhere to.  Is this Marxism as an anti-religion
religion?  For me Marxism is not a set of dogmas.  It is a research program
and must like all such be renewed and advanced. So though I have loved
these great slabs from the classics I will not be brow beaten by them.

Yoshie's point about Muenzer was well taken though.  He was a hard man, a
sort of combination of Marat and Saint Just.  But let me stress here that
we are not in the historical period when such hardness is efficacious.  It
has been my experience of Left organisations that they are full of people
who long to play the role of 'L'ami du peuple' but have no idea at all how
to get into the situation where that role might be even possible. The
organised Left in my experience was full of hard men and women, who
mirrored the ruthlessness of capital. I often think of Churchill's remark
about about Sir Stafford Cripps when I think of the leaders of Left
organisations - Churchill said of Stafford

"There but for the grace of God, goes God".

Now what does the below quote from Yoshie mean?  I have puzzled over it and
can only make out that she is saying one has to be a believer or not. What
I am clear about though is that her reference to Bhaskar is dismissive and
unworthy. Try a little of Benjamin's politeness I am tempted to say here.

regards

Gary