Disabilities

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Sun Dec 24 12:46:31 MST 2000

As laid out in the ADA, disabled persons are those whose
impairments *substantially* affect a major life activity.   so
persons who have minor impairments are not considered disabled.

I've got a paper in the REAL WORLD MICRO 2000 published by
Dollars and Sense which gives a political economic explanation of disablement.

“The Political Economy of Disablement,”, REAL WORLD MICRO, 9th
edition, Marc                     Breslow, Ellen Frank, Cynthia Peters, and the
Dollars & Sense Collective, eds.,                         Cambridge, MA: Economic
Affairs Bureau, Inc., 2001. 94-7.

I stopped using the phrase "people with disabilities" because it
implies that the impairment defines the identity of the
individual, blurs the crucial conceptual distinction between
impairment and disability and avoids the question of causality.
Disablement is something one experiences on top of impairment.
I prefer "disabled persons."

best,
Marta Russell

--