Disabilities

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Sun Dec 24 13:07:24 MST 2000

Marta Russell wrote:

> I stopped using the phrase "people with disabilities" because it
> implies that the impairment defines the identity of the
> individual, blurs the crucial conceptual distinction between
> impairment and disability and avoids the question of causality.
> Disablement is something one experiences on top of impairment.
> I prefer "disabled persons."

Hmmm. This runs counter to favored usage in case of
mental illness. Notice we don't speak of pneumoniacs,
we speak of people with pneumonia. On that model
we urge that one does not speak of, for example,
depressives or schizophrenics but of people who
suffer from depression or schizophrenia. The reason
is the same reason Marta gives, to avoid identifying
the person with the illness.

Carrol