WBAI

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Mon Dec 25 10:14:00 MST 2000

>What's the latest on WBAI? I hear Amy Goodman and others have been locked
>out. Where can we get news about this on the web?
>
>Jon Flanders

12/23/00 -- Pacifica Fires NY Manager, Program Director Then Locks Out WBAI
Staff

In its latest arbitrary exercise of power, Pacifica has dismissed long-time
New York station manager Valerie Van Isler and also fired recently
appointed program director Bernard White.  White's producer on the WBAI
"Wake Up Call" morning show, Sharan Harper, was also dismissed.   Pacifica
executive director Bessie Wash, accompanied by a newly hired security guard
company, changed the WBAI locks in the middle of the night Friday.  WBAI
staff are now locked out of the building, and are being admitted only on a
"controlled entry" basis until further notice.  White and Harper were
threatened with arrest should they attempt to enter the building.

All regular WBAI programming is being maintained for the moment, including
a previously scheduled four-hour teach-in on the WBAI and Pacifica crisis,
which was broadcast Saturday morning.

Several dozen people held a vigil outside the WBAI lower Manhattan studios
despite the 10 degree weather Friday night.  Over five hundred are
reportedly attending a demonstration which began at noon Saturday outside
the building.

WBAI afternoon talk show host Eutrice Leid has been appointed acting
station manager by Pacifica.  Last week, WBAI news director Jose Santiago
turned down the job, saying he had been falsely assured that Valerie Van
Isler was resigning voluntarily.

To protest this latest arbitrary action by Pacifica, please contact (toll
free) executive director Bessie Wash: 1-888-770-4944 Ext. 348.  Or send her
e-mail:  FALCON1591 at aol.com.

Other messages of protest should be sent to Pacifica board member John
Murdock, who is now coordinating  Pacifica's legal and structural assault
on free speech, community radio, and to David Acosta, the current board chair.

John M. Murdock
Tel: 202-861-0900
Fax: 202-296-2882
Email: jmurdock at ebglaw.com

David Acosta, Chair
Tel: (713) 926-4604
Fax: (713) 921-2780
Email: cpadga at aol.com

For updates, please see http://www.savepacifica.net

For additional updates, and to get on the New York hot line
alert e-mail, call (718) 707-7189.

Contributions to support the WBAI locked out workers and the New
York listeners can be sent to:

Friends of Free Speech Radio
905 Parker Street
Berkeley, CA 94710