For Carrol and lou on religion

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Thu Dec 28 19:04:34 MST 2000

Jim Farmelant wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Dec 2000 19:17:35 +1000 Gary MacLennan
> <g.maclennan at qut.edu.au> writes:
> >

> >  At the risk of that flame you threatened me with let me
> > point out something about your attitude here.

This doesn't provoke the flame, for reasons given below.

> > You say you know you all about the necessity for alliances with
> > religious  people. Yet you write about people being  "caught up" i.e.
> not as
> > advanced/liberated as you.

This is a legitimate argument (i.e. does not fail to take for
granted what should be so assumed -- agreement on the
subject of alliances -- hence no flame), but it is wrong.

I agree with Jim's argument below, but I have also a separate
argument, an empirical one. In fact in over 35 years of
working with religious people and letting this attitude show
for the most part, no one has been offended. Christians (at
least Christians who enter into class struggles) are really
fairly tough people (as Marxists should be) and are not
all that easily offended. They believe I am wrong as firmly
as I know they are wrong -- all is well.

Carrol