A question for Alan was Re: carol and lou on religion

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Fri Dec 29 10:42:25 MST 2000

>Marx also spent a lot of time being prosecuted by the authorities for his
>activities... somehow he managed a schedule in which education, organization
>and action made up his work schedule... I would be willing to bet that had
>Marx had access to the internet he would have spent more time amongst
>workers organizing. Marx wasn't targeted by the authorities for the time he
>spent in the library.
>
>All I am saying is that it seems to me not too many of the discussions on
>this site lead to activity... or am I missing something here?
>
>Comradely,
>
>Alan Maki

Yes, you are missing something. This list operates at a higher theoretical
level than you are probably used to. Many of the questions being discussed
arise as a consequence of the failure of Marxism in the recent past to
adequately theorize such matters as:

1. the role of the Leninist party
2. the national question recast for the post-1917 era (Yugoslavia, etc.)
3. the relationship between the professonal theorists and the activist left
4. etc.

To get up to speed on these questions, you have to read more than the
typical party newspaper which presumes that these questions have been
resolved by their guru in residence.

In actuality, if Marxism is to have any relevance for the next century, it
will be as part of an unremitting struggle against shibboleths that have
been handed down. In the Communist Manifesto, Marx explains that capitalism
is a relentless destroyer of traditional beliefs. It is odd that the
movement launched in his name is home to hardened, traditional beliefs much
more deeply engrained than anything found in the Catholic Church, etc.

Louis Proyect