talking & action (was Re: carol and lou on religion)

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at SPAMprimenet.com
Sat Dec 30 13:52:21 MST 2000

Greetings Comrades,
   My interest here is to go toward what I think of as the conversational
properties of the action potential in e-lists.  So I will use Alan's
suggestions as a backdrop for my thinking process,

Alan,
2. Members of the list could provide a brief description of activities they
are involved in and state any suggestions for solidarity action via the web:

Doyle
Is this conversational?  A web site is managed by the site person
responsible for content, but lists are not controlled in that way.  The main
power of a list is the group conversation whereas a web site tends to be a
one way information flow.

Alan,
1. Perhaps there could be a "calendar of events"

Doyle
A calendar of events is more appropriate for a web site, but many software
applications these days in appointment systems for e-mail can put
appointments on a persons personal calendar.  I find this highly useful
because reminders pop up on the desktop (the computer display).  So having a
more powerful calendar function set up for reminding people of organized
structures of activity which people agree to is very useful.  Plus the
ability to keep track of the time and organizing one's time.

These could be agreed upon as a means of organizing an action list and
create specific members who can participate.  These then can be set into
project management software systems that automate features of the mental
work of keeping track of who is doing what.

Alan,
3. Provide a Marxist dialogue with suggeted reading materials from Marx,
Engels-- ie. a discussion of sweatshops--- why not a discussion of "Value,
Price and Profit" (and make a copy available on-line, this would help
acquaint younger people with Marxism.

Doyle
While this is what happens on the lists already, many people post readings
to use, what is missing from this is an understanding of the conversational
strategy to such work.  One assumes that an action is where the value of
such things are meaningful.  I mean literally at the event people carry
their email and web access PDA's.  Having an organized conversational system
for people to talk back and forth instead of having one way conversations
would have a dramatic effect upon the kind of organizing that happens in an
event.  This allows a world wide resource network to function in the midst
of an event.  So that people with expertise can be channeled from around the
globe to help with local strategic thinking.  This can be on the spot so
that people in the strike are getting support at all times and can
participate in the organizing in a conversational style.

The Japanese have already implemented wireless internet access on a variety
of mobilephones web interfaces.  These allow people to get a great deal of
information at once in a location they can't get from talking to people
around them.  Maps, photos of things to know, references, directions to go,
planning and timing, all this is available to that equipment.  Here in the
North America PDA's can exchange data at a site between people, send
e-mails, keep track of calendars, keep addresses etc.  All this bypasses
needing to publish papers.  This sort of thing really works well when the
voices being transmitted have an authentic Marxist depth, and strength.

All this suggest very strongly the role of people not in the geographic area
in making a strong organization effort.  It means carrying communications
will become necessary for us to keep our selves strong.  It means ten
people, five people, one person in an event have a whole community with them
to help out.
thanks,
Doyle Saylor