the individual responsibility act of 1996

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Sat Dec 30 14:35:15 MST 2000

Hi George --

I follow you here.
It seems to me that the push to get disabled people into jobs
over the past few years is also related to the rationale for
welfare "reform."  Welfare reform mandated women to work and
ended their entitlement while Return to Work (so far) is
voluntary.  But both stem from government role in aiding and
abetting the capitalist class.  As unemployment went down, worker
power went up and there was increased danger of inflation.  So
what did Clinton and Gop do? They forced millions of low wage
earners into the market and have pushed for reforms that allow
disabled persons to work (such as the Ticket to work and work
incentive improvement Act -- TTWWIW) to bring more workers from
the reserve army into the workplace.

I wrote an article about this that Mike Yates edited and
hopefully it will appear soon in the Review of Radical Political Economy.

best,
Marta

--
Marta Russell