Current Chapters of The White Book of Capitalism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Wed Jan 26 16:11:11 MST 2000

Actually, this was a project that Mark Jones kicked around with me and Jim
Craven, an answer to the Black Book on Communism. Over on PEN-L there is a
project to write a web-based progressive economics textbook by list
members. Me and Les Schaffer have volunteered to provide technical support.

What about us doing a White Book on Capitalism? I think that Charles, an
African-American, might have purposely chosen that color in defiance of
racial stereotyping where black = evil. Maybe the title could be Brown Book
on Capitalism since brown was the color of the fascist shirts.

Chomsky has the right idea. While the anticommunists dwell on terror,
capitalism's victims die quiet deaths unnoticed by the newspapers or
television. If the corpse of every child in Latin America who died last
year because of diahrrea brought on by unclean water was stacked in a pile,
it would probably be ten times the height of the World Trade Center.

At 03:43 PM 1/26/00 -0500, you wrote:
>As New Millennium Dawns, 19,000 Children Still Die Each Day
>Because of Debt Burden on Poor Countries
>
>-clip-
>As celebrations of the dawning of a New Millennium are being
>prepared, the debt burden carried by 52 countries in Africa,
>Asia, and Latin America still remains largely in place.
>Some countries, such as Rwanda and Peru (owing $1.1 billion
>and $30 billion, respectively), enter the New Millennium
>with little hope of seeing significant debt reduction under
>present official plans.
>
>clip-

Louis Proyect