GLW:Put Pinochet on trial.

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at SPAMdojo.tao.ca
Thu Jan 27 19:51:04 MST 2000

Owen Jones <owen.jones at ultramail.co.uk> said:

>  Comrades,
>
>           I don't want to restart the Pinochet debate. I just want to
make a
> few comments.

[.....]

> >  And a few leftists stand in solidarity with the Chilean, British
and
> Spanish bourgeoisie and the most reactionary and anti-communist
elements of
> these countries in defending Pinochet, whose progressive victims
continue to
> struggle for his extradition. All in the name of anti-
imperialism...indeed,
> the same people who politically defend the Milosevic regime on the
same
> grounds. The difference is this time you are defending what is a tool
of
> imperialism and the bourgeoisie. How very revolutionary.
>
>  Comradely
>
>           Owen

Thanks for the condescending dear Owen. However, if you think folks are
actually defending Pinochet- and not sovereignty- I am afraid it is
going to be difficult to make clear the point of opposing this move.
The line you speak: "...defending what is a tool of imperialism and the
bourgeoisie." is precisely what asking or "demanding" he be tried is to
do. The trial of third world leaders, especially those retired and
useless ones like Pinochet, slides directly into our current number one
problem- the global war against sovereignty. Fidel reffered to the
bombing of Serbia as "a collosal war against sovereignty", and this is
continued in smaller ways as well. We must avoid such ad hominem
arguments as "you are on the same side as reaction!"- if we get
involved in a self-defense movement against some Nazi filth roaming the
streets, is that wrong because Zionist Israelis would agree with it? We
have a duty to seek out the best possible approach to any and all
political situations, and to heck with whether or not rabid right
wingers approve. I know that Maggie is interested in saving Pinocho for
personal affection reasons. The trial would happen for very real,
concrete, political reasons. This is what we must scrutinize- not for
the sake of Augusto, but rather for the sake of our ability to prevent
more like him.

--
Macdonald Stainsby

check the "ten point platform" of Tao at: http://new.tao.ca

"`Order rules in Berlin.' You stupid lackeys! Your
`order' is built on sand. Tomorrow the revolution will rear
ahead once more and announce to your horror amid the brass
of trumpets: `I was, I am, I always will be!'"

-Rosa Luxemburg, 1918.