The Ecuadorian Revolution

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at SPAMdojo.tao.ca
Fri Jan 28 02:45:36 MST 2000

Julio Fernández Baraibar <julfb at sinectis.com.ar> said:

> Louis wrote:
> > There is another important aspect to the Ecuador struggle. It will
serve
> as
> > an inspiration to Indians from Argentina to the Arctic to fight for
equal
> > rights. When a minority can shake up society the way it has in
Ecuador, it
> > will very likely have the same ramifications as the Civil Rights
and black
> > power movements had in the United States.
>
> IMHO to speak about indians in LA is to speak about peasants and the
land
> question, as Mariategui has written. It has very little to do with
the Civil
> Rights and black power movements in USA.
> Julio FB

Au contraire! I believe what is being drawn out here is not a real
contradiction, but rather something more complimentary. Why is
the "indian question" similar to that of the BPP? Precisely because it
is so overlapping with the peasantry. In both instances we have an
artificially created racial division that, of course, is borne out
within the class struggle. The question of the "lumpen aspects" (as
Newton reffered to it) within the BPP were a matter of course to
organise the Black Power movement. The same applies to the peasantry in
such places as Ecuador. What this argument hinges upon is whether or
not we are willing to try and respect that there will be greater
potential in the movement by trying to work with this reality, or to
superimpose a new label on it. The question is about land reform in
most of LA. This is neither opposed to or mutually exclusive of the
peasant question- what is left out is sovereignty (yet again).
--
Macdonald Stainsby

check the "ten point platform" of Tao at: http://new.tao.ca

"`Order rules in Berlin.' You stupid lackeys! Your
`order' is built on sand. Tomorrow the revolution will rear
ahead once more and announce to your horror amid the brass
of trumpets: `I was, I am, I always will be!'"

-Rosa Luxemburg, 1918.