The Ecuadorian Revolution

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at SPAMdojo.tao.ca
Sat Jan 29 03:46:22 MST 2000

Julio Fernández Baraibar <julfb at sinectis.com.ar> said:

> Excuse me, dear comrade, I don't understand your statement. Really.
Can you
> explain yourself in a clearer way? I mean, I understand the words,
not the
> meaning. Surely it has to do with my lack of english, not with your
style.

Actually, I was both uncomfortable with how I said it the first time
around, but too lazy to fix it up. So, my apologies on that one.

What I was getting at, essentially, is that I believe the argument "is
it a peasant question, or a national question?" to be somewhat false.
It appears, at least from a (very) brief glance at history that the
question and answer to what to make of Indian struggles lies in a
respect for rights, "cultural" if you like, or the question will end
like the Miskitu- but this doesn't mean the *materialist* approach to
how we can move to the next level changes. The question's solution,
whether we call it an Indian uprising or a peasant revolt- will be the
same land reform process. So, we need not debate the terminology, IMO.
The "indian question" is very much the same as the Black Power movement-
 because of historical racism and subjugation, blacks are artificially
reduced to, often, "lumpen elements" (I'm borrowing from Newton here).
The poorest peasant is the rough equivalent in the industrialising
South. I see the similarity as one that, with the resolution of
such "identity" politics in mind, but Marxism in approach, leaves both
with automatic similarities organizationally. Class questions are the
key, but sovereignty, needed politically because it has for so long not
existed, is a motivator even as much as "Peace, Bread and Land" to both
groups. This is even more the case with groups like AIM in regards to
Ecuador, but someone else mentioned the BPP first.

It wasn't supposed to be insightful, just trying to avoid a collision
that wasn't really that big- at this time Indians are peasants.

> But your opinion is always interesting to me.
> Thank you

Yours as well!

BTW, don't complain about your english anymore. I regret my Spanish has
crawled along far slower, and your english spelling already beats mine!

--
Macdonald Stainsby

check the "ten point platform" of Tao at: http://new.tao.ca

"`Order rules in Berlin.' You stupid lackeys! Your
`order' is built on sand. Tomorrow the revolution will rear
ahead once more and announce to your horror amid the brass
of trumpets: `I was, I am, I always will be!'"

-Rosa Luxemburg, 1918.