"Masses & Mainstream" on Soviet psychiatry (circa 1950)

Thu Jun 1 12:03:55 MDT 2000

>>> Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> 05/31/00 09:15PM >>>The quality of many of the
>contributions seem to be of a decidedly
mixed character.  A lot of stuff seems to reflective of the Stalinist
sectarianism that was dominant in the CPUSA at the time.

________

CB: I thought Stalinism was opportunist, Pop Frontist at that time, not sectarian.
Too friendly with Democrats and all that.  Too much like Democrats is not sectarian ,
but opportunist , no ?

________

But
on the other hand there are some items of interest and a few
gems.  One issue has a poem by Lorraine Hannesberry
who was then a twenty-year-old art student in Chicago.
Ms. Hannesberry as many people here are undoubtedly aware,
after having been mentored by such people as Paul Robeson
and W.E.B. Du Bois, achieved fame as the author of
the play  "A Raisin in the Sun" and the book *To Be Young,
Gifted, and Black*.

_________

CB: I think oral history has it that she was a party member, too.

_________

There is also, in the May 1950 issue a
review by Du Bois of Philip Foner's *The Life and Writings
of Frederick Douglas*.  However, one piece that attracted
my attention is George Stewart's review of the book *Soviet
Psychiatry* by Joseph Wortis  in the Spetember 1950 issue,
which follows.

Jim F.