FW: Denounce US Biotech Appointment

Mark Jones jones118 at SPAMlineone.net
Fri Jun 2 17:03:20 MDT 2000

as long as we're talking Nader, here's this:

Mark Jones
http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList

-----Original Message-----
From: Biotech Activists [mailto:biotech_activists at iatp.org]
Sent: 02 June 2000 23:43
To: jones118 at lineone.net
Subject: Re: Denounce US Biotech Appointment

Biotech Activists (biotech_activists at iatp.org)    Posted: 06/02/2000  By
phil at uwtc.washington.edu

We need to do more.  There should be some organizing around this issue--to
delegitimate the body.

(BTW, on the EU side, Dan Leskin has played an important NGO role in the
Biosafety Protocol negotiations).

Phil

At 05:47 PM 6/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]
>President Prodi agreed to take new steps to address differences
>over biotechnology, both through high-level government to
>government dialogue and with input from civil society.  The leaders
>agreed to intensify U.S.-EU discussions on biotechnology in order to make
>progress on regulatory issues and to avoid and resolve trade problems.
>
>In December, the U.S. and the EU adopted a two-track approach.  First, they
>established government-to-government talks through a special session of the
>U.S.-EU Senior Level Group. While these talks began early in 2000, they
>have yet to achieve progress on market access issues. With this week's
>announcement, the United States and EU have succeeded in launching the
>Consultative Forum to advise on these issues and have agreed to address
>practical steps to facilitate market access.
>
>APPOINTEES
>
>EU Members of the EU-US Biotechnology Consultative Forum:
>
>Derek Burke, Prof., is former Professor of Microbiology at Warwick
>University and retired Chair of UK Advisory Committee on Novel Foods.
>
>Susan Davies, is Principal Policy Adviser of the Consumers' Association.
>
>Noëlle Lenoir, is Chair of the European Group on Ethics in science and new
>Technology, European Union.
>
>Dan Leskien, is advisor to Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit on
>intellectual property rights and plant genetic resources in developing
>countries and permanent biotechnology advisor to Friends of the Earth.
>
>Måns Lönnroth, Ph.D., is Managing Director of MISTRA, the Swedish
>Foundation for Strategic Environmental Research and former State Secretary
>at the Swedish Ministry of the Environment.
>
>Ruud Lubbers, Prof., is Professor for Globalisation and Sustainable
>Development at the Catholic University Brabant (Tilburg University) and
>former Prime Minister of the Netherlands.
>
>Pedro Puigdoménech Rosell, Prof., is research Professor at the department
>of molecular genetics, Instituto de Biologia Molecular de Barcelona.
>
>Leonardo Santi, Prof., is President of the Advanced Biotechnology Center,
>Genoa, and Chairman of the National Committee for Biosafety and
>Biotechnology Presidency of Cabinet of Ministers Rome.
>
>Luis Vasconcelos e Souza, is President of the Portuguese Associations of
>Maize Producers and Vice-President of the European Association of Maize
>Producers.
>
>Eduard Veltkamp, Prof., is Senior Vice President, Business Research Foods,
>Unilever Research Laboratory Vlaardingen.
>

>U.S. Members of the US-EU Consultative Forum:
>
>Norman Borlaug, Ph.D., is currently Distinguished Professor of
>International Agriculture at Texas A&M University and won the Nobel Peace
>Prize in 1970 for his work on the "Green Revolution."
>
>Gordon Conway, Ph.D., is President of the Rockefeller Foundation and a
>world-renowned agricultural ecologist.
>
>Rebecca J. Goldburg, Ph.D., is Senior Scientist at Environmental Defense
Fund.

>Cutberto Garza, M.D., Ph.D., is Vice Provost at Cornell University and
>Chair of the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academies Institute
>of Medicine.
>
>Jennie Hunter-Cevera, Ph.D., is the President of the University of
>Maryland´s Biotechnology Institute.
>
>Terry Medley, J.D., is the Director of Regulatory and External Affairs for
>Dupont.
>
>Christopher Roland Somerville, Ph.D., is the Director of The Carnegie
>Institute´s Department of Plant Biology at Stanford University.
>
>Carol Tucker Foreman is the Director of the Food Policy Institute of the
>Consumer Federation of America.
>
>Ryland Frederick Utlaut farms corn, soybeans and wheat near Grand Pass,
>Missouri and is the past President of the National Corn Growers
Association.

>LeRoy B. Walters, Ph.D., is the Director of the Kennedy Institute of Ethics
>at Georgetown University.

>For a list of other commands and list options, please send email to
>listserv at iatp.org.
>In the body of the message type:
>help
>
>Please direct content questions about this list to: mritchie at iatp.org
>
>Please direct technical questions about this service to: support at iatp.org

Philip L.  Bereano
Professor
Department of Technical Communication
College of Engineering
Box 352195
University of Washington
Seattle, Wash.  98195

phone:  (206) 543-9037
fax:       (206) 543-8858

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

"Americans recognize fewer than 10 plant species, but over 1,000 corporate
logos."
---Adbusters Magazine