On budget line reductions and health care

Sat Jun 3 21:28:28 MDT 2000

Comrades, this posting introduces the one I have just sent.

From:                   "amendez" <amendez at fibertel.com.ar>
To:                     <pol-cien at ccc.uba.ar>
Subject:                pol-cien : Los fondos que recortáis
Date sent:              Sat, 3 Jun 2000 21:51:25 -0300

Statement from the Director:
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome Funding
Feb. 2, 2000
Contact: CDC Media Relations (404) 639-3286
In 1993, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) quickly
discovered what was causing healthy young adults in the Western
United States to mysteriously die, their lungs filled with fluids.
CDC found it was a previously unidentified hantavirus. Hantavirus
joined the ranks of other deadly infectious viruses like Ebola, Lassa
Fever, and Marburg that CDC researchers grapple with daily in its
highest level biosafety laboratory. CDC’s hantavirus investigation
exemplified the agency’s mission--responding to immediate public
health threats and protecting the health and safety of Americans.
CDC received funds to research and control hantavirus pulmonary
syndrome and CDC used these funds to combat hantavirus. In recent
years, CDC used some of these funds to combat other life-threatening
infectious diseases. We made a mistake in the past by not reporting
this to Congress. The article, by Joe Stevens and Valerie Strauss in
the February 2, 2000, Washington Post about past budget practices,
left out the fact that CDC has recently learned valuable lessons
following the Inspector General (IG) review of its budget procedures.
The IG review, requested by CDC, provided a checklist of improvements
needed to help CDC catch up with the demands of an increasingly
complex budget and reconcile it with the flexibility required by fast-
changing public health challenges.
CDC has taken these lessons to heart and is working to set things
straight. As CDC’s director, I apologized to Congress for any errors
in CDC’s reporting of budget line items and outlined actions that CDC
is putting in place to ensure appropriate disclosure regarding its
use of funds. CDC immediately set about to improve budget control
systems and these changes are being made agencywide. We openly
discussed these concerns and the actions to correct them with
Congressional leaders, our public health partners, public health
advocates, and the Washington Post.
CDC is well on its way to correcting the budget mistakes of the past
and reemphasizing throughout CDC that we take direction from Congress
regarding spending priorities. CDC remains stalwart in our commitment
to acknowledge and correct shortfalls, builds upon our trust with
Congress, prepares for the next emerging disease outbreak, and
continues to protect the health and safety of Americans.
Jeffrey P. Koplan, M.D., M.P.H.
Director

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar