L-I: García Caliendo, Hell and Heavens (was RE: Today's mobilization)

Sun Jun 4 10:35:43 MDT 2000

Some additional info on Julio's informative posting (by the way, list
members enjoy the privilege, thanks to Julio FB, that we can have
very "confidential" information on the inner workings at the higher
levels of the movement that is beginning to take shape).

1. On _La Nación_, and the recent debate on Utopianism and
determinism (or, how can reactionaries help us end an argument)

En relación a RE: Today's mobilization,
el 4 Jun 00, a las 2:41, Julio Fernández Baraibar dijo:

> ... the most importat sign that in Argentina we are playing an
> important game is the reaction of the establishment. La Nacion, two
> days after the demo, ocupied to sides

[I guess Julio meant two sheets, which is really a lot since _La
Nación_ is not a tabloid, but a large sheet format newspaper]

attacking and commenting the
> question about the fiscal disobedience. It is almost incredible but La
> Nacion explained to its class ... that the
> english revolution and the north american revolution had began with a
> such fiscal disobedience. And, this is the fucking question.

_La Nación_ explaining the Boston Tea Party to the Argentinian ruling
class! This is an example of the role a serious newspaper plays when
it decides to act poltically, and a lesson for whoever wants to
generate a newspaper for the Left. History must be understood _on the
spot_, with both eyes watching _the past_ (determination) from _the
future_ (Utopia, which became an actual issue through the expression
of Moyano).  The debate between Gary MacLennan and Carrol Cox on
"past and future", over "determinism and Utopia", has been solved by
the newspaper of the Argentinian oligarchy!

2. On the proposition of a fiscal rebellion itself

The proposition of a tax rebellion has been met with two different
feelings: either warmly supported, or strongly rejected. No house in
the midst of the trip. It is an "either...or" situation, and social
classes have immediately seen it.  I have been talking and exchanging
posts with many people of an organically non-Peronist or anti-
Peronist cast of mind these days, and found out that if one excepts
those who keep strong ideological or even material ties with the
Government, almost everyone took the idea with naturality and backed
it. So that, in the same way that Moyano introduced in the debate the
issue of how to get out of the currency board scheme (and was
immediately accused of lunacy, but a couple of days after that the
debate became an integral part of serious political argument in
Argentina, and still is), I suppose that this new idea will raise a
wave of hypocritical criticisms that, once it disappears, will leave
a strong debate on the destination of the public revenues.

3. Class struggle and the Argentinian Church.

Julio comments the speech by Garcia Caliendo by quoting Mario Gurioli

[A personal aside here, for Julio FB in particular: You should take
better care of your liver, Julio. Mario Gurioli! But at least he is
not an opportunist, he is the nationalism of the state bureaucracy
incarnate (or something more or less like that!). My regards to
Mario, who most certainly does not remember me but will remember
Spili.]

> Garcia Caliendo  sounded, as a ...trotskyst of
> the Fourth International

He was forced to resign the day after, but his words expressed the
true concerns of the Social

> Comission of the Catholic hierarchy.

Now, the "day after the day after", as Julio FB states,

> an open political struggle in the very core of this
> venerable institution saw the light and appeared in the media.

I cannot but share his joy,

> It is
> wonderful, great! We are living historic moments. I have lived another
> ones and I know what I am speaking about! The same old reactionary and
> hypocritic bishops who had nothing to say about the statement of the
> bishop of Lomas de Zamora who wished in the Lujan Basilica a lung
> cancer for them that talked against the Catholic Church, ran to
> express that the words of Garcia Caliendo didn't represent the point
> of view of the fucking hierarchy. But this is not absolut true.

The situation begins to resemble that which preceded the downfall of
the Onganía-Lanusse regime, which was preceded by a radicalization of
Catholicism in Argentina. Julio is not flattering himself in vain,
since during those times he was a student at the arch-Catholic
liberal Universidad Católica Argentina, and he could see the process
develop before his own eyes. I would just warn you, Julio, not to be
overoptimistic, since that process gave us people like Juan Llach...

But now we are in different conditions, and I do not see how can the
Catholic discomfort be diverted into terrorism as it was during the
mid-70s. If I worked for CIA, I would be worried.

> Because the argentinian church is divided, indeed. ... I know
> the church. Nobody in this level had said what Garcia Caliendo said if
> he has not the clear permits of some authority to do it.

Yes, I think we should have forecast that if the Church began to
mingle with social matters due to the retreat of the State, it would
begin to enter into a political turbulence. We did not see it
clearly, but now it has become obvious. And this is an important
fact, taking into account what Julio tells us on the problems of the
chief of Gendarmería in Salta with his own wife, on a different
posting.

If we are not shot in the attempt (and I include physical shooting,
at least against Moyano, something that we should not rule out), we
may be actually taking off. Hope so. Desperately hope so.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar

     --- from list leninist-international at lists.econ.utah.edu ---