jhurd_newparty: Re: The Nader campaign, part 1

Mark Jones jones118 at SPAMlineone.net
Mon Jun 5 10:48:41 MDT 2000

Surely the question is not whether blame attaches to Nader because he isn't
Savonarola in a hair shirt, it's not a matter of personal lifestyle tout
court, but of the _underlying_ hypocrisy of attaching the word "crusade" to
the kinds of issues (and with the kinds of motivations) which Nader has made
a career of. Why should we support the walking articulation of pathetic
consumerist cravenness, of the miserable A-B of provatised Main St desire +
fear, two items so closely associated in the minds of his natural
constituency as to be practically indistinguishable. What, actually, can be
more disgusting than the kind of Naderite consumer group mailshot, with its
fearless denunciations of wrong-shaped garden tools sandwiched between
coupons for patent bunion removers, car vacs and douche-fittings?

We don't need to blame Nader just because he is a disgusting little petit
bourgeois jerk in the tradition of French-shopkeeper politics (he is, but so
what? On a scale of 1-10 and by Beltway standards, he looks practically made
of stainless steel, and if the choice is between Nader and Bore/Gush, then
there is no choice). The question is purely and simply whether this is the
kind of creep which we ought to be mobilising around or supporting in any
way. We don't need to support people like Ralph Nader. We don't WANT people
like Ralph Nader to be associated in any way with our burgeoning movement.
We don't want this kind of crawling geriatric politics anywhere near us, do
we? If you have to use the electoral Saturnalia for any pripose at all, then
make a carnival of the oppressed from it, and hold up your banners to remind
the people back home about Chiapas, about Colombia, about Peru, about Cuba,
about Narmada, about the traffic in women and children, and in general be a
voice for those condemned by this very electoral process to silent death.

Mark Jones
http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList