was Re: China Prepares to Use Force on Taiwan

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at SPAMoregon.uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 6 14:33:11 MDT 2000

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Julio Pino wrote:

> Defending China and the other workers states is the most important task
> (and test)for leftists of this generation.

Workers states? What sort of independent political, economic and cultural
power to ordinary Chinese workers exercise in contemporary China, pray
tell? Can they form their own parties, publish their own books, formulate
their own ideology, and create their own autonomous trade unions to claw
back the surplus-value Nike is squeezing out of them? Sorry to disappoint,
but I'm no neoliberal, just a Marxist with a bad habit of looking at what
class elites of whatever political stripe do to their citizens, as opposed
to what they *say* they're doing.

-- Dennis