Arabs, Zionism and Nazis

Wed Jun 7 05:38:14 MDT 2000

For those who are not aware of this: I am a Jew, half my family was
conveniently baked in Hitler's ovens, I am not precisely a pro-Nazi.
There is something personal between those guys and yours truly.

Now, on to what I have to say.

This issue of the Palestinians "collaborating" with the Nazis is as
stupid as imperialist propaganda can be. Palestinians were under the
rule of British and French imperialism. Didn't they have the right to
suppose that during a breakup of the imperialist bloc there might be
some possibility to play one imperialism against the other? But,
worse still, there were links between Zionists and Nazism too. They
are alluded to (though in a thickly veiled way, of course) even in
that monument to slander that carries the name _Exodus_.

While the Palestinian idea of playing the Nazis against the Brits
reflects a political calculation, the Zionist contact is of a
different order. Basically, Zionists and Nazis share the same idea on
the Jews, particularly on Diaspora Jews. I was a Zionist, and as such
I have myself heard, more than once, and to my own self-respect never
repeated, the idea that "Hitler was right in thinking the Jews are
different. Only he was wrong in the way he solved the problem".

Zionists also talked with Hitler, though admittedly in a very short
and light manner, on colonization of Madagascar with Jews under
German protectorat. This was a reasonable outcome of the idea
expressed above, of course.

And, best of all, there was a pro-German (due to anti-British
colonialism) Zionist group, the Stern group, in the Palestine of the
40s. One of the members of this group was Itzhak Shamir, who had, as
everybody knows, something to do with ruling the State of Israel.

So much for the "progressivity" of Zionism. Back to Palestinians.

There were Palestinians who believed that it was licit to find
support in Hitler in order to expel the British imperialists from the
Middle East. But Ghandi himself visited Mussolini against the British
Empire, in a silent expression of independence from the colonial
power. This is a common feture of the Third World: there also were
Argentinians who, during the 30s and 40s, hoped that the German
victory would help us be better off against our basic exploiter, that
is Britain. They were dead wrong, and in fact they were a
counterproductive incorporation to the national revolutionary
movement during the mid 40s. But their reactionarism did not modify
the essentially progressive, nay, revolutionary, character of this
movement.

It is social classes who give sense to ideologies, not the other way
round. Anything else, on these issues, is slander.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar