China prepares to invade Taiwan

Fri Jun 9 16:05:49 MDT 2000

En relación a Re: China prepares to invade Taiwan,
el 9 Jun 00, a las 16:02, Carrol Cox dijo:

> Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky wrote:
>
> > [snip] how would the
> > United States of America be like today if it had been taken away
> > from brutal foreign occupation, from internal fragmentation in
> > warrying fractions, from hunger and disease, half a century ago.
> > This is the history with China.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Good luck during the early period has been a very important issue in
> > the success of the USA. They were gifted by Napoleon with half a
> > continent in order to transform them into a great power on the
> > oceans against Britain.   [snip] when... Britain was left with the
> > seas for her mighty Navy, the USA were already strong enough not to
> > have to support
>
> Actually Nestor doesn't catch the full irony here. The Monroe
> Doctrine, the founding document of U.S. imperialism, was directed
> against direct interference by continental powers in Latin America --
> but Monroe could take this step only on the implicit assumption that
> (at that time) *enforcement* of the Doctrine would be up to the
> British Navy. The U.S. was not yet strong enough to enforce it. And
> since British capital was already elbowing out Spanish interests,
> England had no interest in *direct* interference.

I agree that I did not put this thing to the fore, because I was
trying to show things, so to say, from WITHIN the United States. But
one of the most obvious demonstrations of what Carrol says here is
the history of the Malvinas (Falklands), where an American ship gave
the first coup and a British fleet occupied Argentinian land in 1833.
Yes, that was one of the first applications of the Monroe Doctrine,
and oh surprise though Argentina invoked that doctrine some times, it
has never been enforced against Britain...

Thank you, Carrol. Another one for the toast, I guess.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar