The Nader campaign, part two: the Green Party

Michael Hoover hoov at SPAMfreenet.tlh.fl.us
Fri Jun 9 15:08:30 MDT 2000

> Rather than arising from a powerful mass movement like
> the Burgeriniativen, the American Greens represented the efforts of
> scattered activists to get something off the ground in very difficult
> objective circumstances. Also, rather than attempting to form a national
> organization at the outset, there were instead initiatives on a municipal
> or statewide level. For example, a Maine Green Party was launched in 1984.
> Louis Proyect

Wasn't there proto US GP in early '80s called Committees of Correspondence
(and I'm not confusing name with org that came out of CP in early '90s).
Harry Boyte's name sticks in my mind, but seems some involved were folks
who had worked on Barry Commoner's 1980 prez campaign.  I'm pretty sure
that GP's 'Ten Key Values' were initially worked out by CofC (who adopted
name to recall networks of local agitation groups established in 1770s)
Michael Hoover