Can Global Warming Become a Political Issue?

Sat Jun 10 08:20:01 MDT 2000

En relación a RE: Can Global Warming Become a Political Issue?,
el 10 Jun 00, a las 10:58, Mark Jones dijo:

> Nestor wrote:
> > I wanted to
> > stress, at least, my support to this simple assertion by José:
> >
>  >     By presenting an overarching, overriding ecological apocalypse
>  of
> > >     global
> > > warming, Marxists disarm themselves before bourgeois forces who
> > > argue, essentially, "Wish we had the time and resources to save
> > > the hundreds of millions of children starving to death and dying
> > > from preventable diseases in the third world, but we've got to
> > > save the planet!"
>
> So what do you and Jose suggest we do, pretend that what is happening
> isn't happening? Is that the best service you can do to the
> multimillioned masses who will indeed be slaughtered? It was Edward
> Thompson who invented the term 'exterminism' to characterise late
> capitalism. That was during the Vietnam war. Exterminism WILL BE THE
> FUTURE if we don't stop hiding our heads in the sand.
>
> Mark Jones
> http://www.egroups.com/group/CrashList

Oh, no. That was just "a mot de plus" on my side.

I positively did not want to get involved into that thread, and here
I am now, with Mark admonitorily pointing his finger and me,
requesting from me a definition on what shall we do when zillions of
poor people are either baked, frozen, or both.

Look, Mark, you know I tend to believe ecological issues are serious
enough to pay attention to and to call everyone's attention on. And
this, simply, because these issues are not "ecological" at all, but
social, political and organically enmeshed into the innermost logic
of capitalism. Calling it "exterminism" or not (a good one, anyway)
won't change the balance of things.

I am thinking, however, on a side of this same issue that you are
usually aware of, but I am afraid you have lost sight of somehow, in
the heat of the debate (yes, yes, I know you can get hotter and
hotter, and I have seen nothing yet, and so on: please don't tell me
that now).

Namely, what I mean is that the day I see a germ write a poem I will
begin to believe that they are as worthy of respect as human beings.
In the meantime, I stubbornly believe that the most endangered
species on Earth, and the one on which the most serious ecological
menaces from capitalism are exerted is the Homo Sapiens Sapiens,
variety Pauperes Tertiomundani (that is "Third World poors"). There
is no other species whose young offspring are, as José aptly wrote,

> > >  starving to death and dying from preventable diseases.

I feel it my duty not to allow any other serious concern (and I agree
in that they are serious, and I do not share José's assesment of
things; I would invite José to spend a week half a mile off the
Riachuelo in Buenos Aires, which may probably change his mind a bit),
not to allow any other serious concern -as I was saying- move me an
inch from the knowledge that my first battlefield is not over heating
of the world but over death of children, ceaseless, relentless and
perverted death of children the Third World over.

IF capitalism is not stopped ASAP, I know that it will be more and
more children that will die, due to pollution and so on. But I live
in a country that is being bled dry to put oil into the cranks and
wheels of the financial machine. The weaker members of the species,
that is poor children, are day after day providing the material on
which that machine moves. If I can stop the afflux of fuel, then I
will stop the production of poisonous exhaust gases.

Please, any answer off-line, Mark.

A hug,

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar