Operation Condor

Julio Fernández Baraibar julfb at SPAMsinectis.com.ar
Sat Jun 10 20:51:38 MDT 2000

Ivonaldo Neres Leite wrote about the issue:
> Dear Julio:
>
> I agree with you, but I think the crimes of the dictators can´t continue
> forever in a  "unknown box". Today in Latin America (for example: Brazil)
> the youngs know little about what were the ditactorships and I am speaking
> as a Professor of History... So to open the secret files don´t seem be a
bad
> idea.
>
> Ivonaldo N. Leite

As Nestor said in other post, the democratic period in Argentina cancelled
all the argentinian historia before 1976. "In the beginning was the torture"
seems to say the new Saint John's Evangelium. And the worst of this
manipulation is that it hides "el divino laberinto de los efectos y las
causas", continuing with famous quotations, in this case of Borges. It is
very useful, of course, that the new generations of brazilian students know
what happened in that time, but in the complete sense of the question. The
difference between your militar dictatorship and ours must be marked. Our
militar dictatorships -there were some of them in the period 60-80- meant a
decreasing of our growth rate and our industrialization. In Brazil, if I am
not completely lost, the militar dictatorship meant the increasing of the
growth rate in Brazil and a very powerful industrialization period.
In my country, it meant the weakening of our public enterprises (YPF,
Ferrocarriles, etc.). In Brazil, it meant the creation and increasing of the
public enterprises (Petrobras and others).
If this openness is going to mean that the blood and the crimes level our
hisotries to the stupid liberal common sense for which every dictatorship is
bad in itself, I don't see the benefits for the new generations.
What it is in play is the possibility of continuing to be something in the
Earth, a country, a region, something but free from the imperialism.

Julio