help/Curitiba in Brazil

Sun Jun 11 19:24:27 MDT 2000

En relación a help/Curitiba in Brazil,
el 11 Jun 00, a las 13:15, Maureen Silos dijo:

> Does anyone on the list know anything about the city of Curitiba in
> southern Brazil.  Apparently they have a progressive environmentally
> friendly government.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Maureen

Dear Maureen:

Yes, Curitiba is famous for "environment-friendly" development,
essentially a product of an enlightened Major. In the Latin American
and Brazilian context, this is a marvelous exception, worth visiting.
If I am not wrong, Curitiba is around the 1,000,000 / 2,000,000
people figure, and it has been founded to the East of the area that
was once occupied by the Guarany Missions. This area has not been so
well treated, however, since most of the forest there was tilled in
less than 30 years to open space for soja and coffee. Our Brazilian
comrades will be able to give you more data, and I will forward your
mail to a list of Brazilian geographers, who will certainly be able
to give you many particulars on Curitiba.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at inea.com.ar