Ecology and Political Strategy, was Re: Forwarded from Hans Ehrbar

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Mon Jun 12 11:27:43 MDT 2000

Am I wrong or is Louis descending to a cheap amalgam?

I noted that the article Louis posted on the Greenhouse effect from Rachel's
Weakly was based on such truly encyclopedic ignorance that it stated the
opposite of a well-known, uncontroversial scientific fact which is that
water vapor is the main greenhouse gas responsible for somewhere around 95%
of the greenhouse effect which allows life as we know it to exist on the
planet.

Louis quotes some right wing think tank saying the same thing, that water
vapor is the main greenhouse gas. And then some article about how this
outfit is on a big-oil financed propaganda campaign.

The conclusion Louis is pushing, it seems to me, is, How scandalous! There
goes José getting into bed with the paid hirelings of the oil companies, and
so on.

To which my reply is: "Eppur si muove"

What is really surprising is that such a basic bit of climatological trivia
could catch Louis off-guard. It should lead us to wonder why it is that
Louis, who is usually so hard headed, evinces a mind of mush when it comes
to environmental science.

Or does Louis dispute that most of the greenhouse effect is due to water
vapor?  If he accepts this, why is he reposting here articles from
environmentalists with howlers like the main greenhouse gas being CO2?