[The lebanese sectarian society as a culture of subservience ]

Abu Nasr abu-nasr at SPAMusa.net
Thu Jun 15 17:09:53 MDT 2000

Dear comrades!

Riad is right about the different sects in Lebanon having different foreign
supporters and patrons.  It wasn't only the Maronites.  For example in the
1850s or 1860s the Maronites and Druze fought a bloody war, only actually
behind the scenes it was the French supporting the Maronites and the British
supporting the Druze!  Great to fight a war but use somebody else's bodies!

Also Riad was right to notice the issue of international trade.  It's not so
new.  I mean of course there was international trade in the Phoenicians' time.
 But even more recently, by the 1400s, the Venetians traded with the Islamic
world and had consulates in Alexandria and Damascus.  Venice locked the
Genoese out of the eastern shipping trade, by the way, and that compelled some
of them, like one Christopher Columbus, to think about going West to reach the
East.  But I'm sure our Latin American comrades know the rest of that story
better than I do.

With revolutionary greetings!

Abu Nasr

Riad Koubaisi <hamman at inco.com.lb> wrote:
  HI Comrades:
 First, i really admire the greeting of comrade julio and the notes of
comrade nestor.
 But here i must clear something about the  maronite, i think comrade
nestor you were a bit severe with the maronite.
         you wrote:
 >Now, the well-to-do Maronites have been for a very long time good
>trading partners of the West, particularly of France. Not only
>trading partners, but political partners as well. Maronite culture,
>as a general rule, has been a culture of subservience to the ruling
>powers from abroad rather than a culture of national common struggle
>with their Islamic fellow countrypeople. It is not a matter of chance
>at all that Maronites manned the South Lebanon Army. It was just a
>logical outcome of their history. Quislings would be their name in the
West.
     Riad:
 NO, they were not always a culture of subservience to the ruling
powers from abroad , or lets say they were not the only sect that
cringed to get help from the aboard.for example in the Ottoman govern
the relation between the maronite and the govern was too weak and by
this they intersect with the situation of the shiite. in the other side
the sunnite and the Christian{orthodox} were in a good relation with the
govern. For the good relation between the maronite and france, we must
be clear that each sect in lebanon was and is supported from aboard.
Sunnite from Ottoman and then saudi arabia{gulf countries} shiite from
iran, orthodox from russia even though when it became USSR , and the
maronite from france. to be more clear i can say to you that lebanon
mostly was formed because of  the maronite demands, since the orthodox
have had no problem to live in a country where they are minority but
Maronites have had problem.although they became now a minority if they
were compared to the shiite for example.
        concerning the dealing between israel and the maronite i must
say that its seems there is a big doubt in this matter, it may be
surprising to you but South Lebanon Army was formed from 30% of
christians{mostly maronite} and 70% of shiite; moreover the basic reason
why South Lebanon Army{saad hadad army}was formed were the Palestinian
resistance, imagine how the sectarian logic take its place, the shiite
joined saad hadad army and had had no problem to deal with the israeli
just because the Palestinian resistance was sunnite, some stories says
that some of the shiite were happy when the israeli occupied south
lebanon in 1978 and 1982, even though some of the Palestinian
organizations were acting in a sectarian way.{ surly not the secular
one}
        You wrote:
   >I enclose "foreign" between quotation marks because in
>the vast Eastern Mediterranean Basin there was not EXACTLY "foreign"
>trade until quite recently, in the sense that many different peoples
>lived under Ottoman rule, trading between them within a same
>political construction as if they did not belong to a single unity.
    Riad:
 Not completely, there was a a kind of trade with far countries in the
date of Phoenician {BC}, those who lived on the western coasts of the
fertile crescent{ shores of lebanon and syria}found that there only way
to get source of life is sea, trading after getting beyond the sea {
since they didn't had lands to plant}
         With revolutionary greetings!
               Riad Kobaisi